ASB Building

Registrar Offices

Administrative Services Building
65 Davidson Road
Rooms 200-A, B, F, L
Busch Campus
Piscataway, NJ 08854-8096

Office Hours: Monday - Friday
8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Office of the Undergraduate Registrar, New Brunswick

Veterans Educational Benefits

The United States Veterans Administration operates various educational assistance programs for eligible veterans, war orphans, surviving spouses or children of veterans killed while on duty with the Armed Forces, disabled veterans, dependents of veterans with service related total disability, and certain members of the selected reserve.

Students who wish to use veterans' educational benefits must identify themselves to the Office of the Registrar so that proper enrollment certification procedures can be initiated for the following entitlement programs.  If you don’t know what Chapter you are claiming, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (1-888-442-4551).

  • Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill™ - Selected Reserve National Guard
  • Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill™ - Active Duty
  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33 Post 9/11
  • Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Benefits

More information is available to all veterans from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at:

Enrollment Certification Procedures:  If You Are Applying for Benefits for the First Time

Certification Procedures If You Are a Continuing Student

  1. Apply for Financial Aid:

  2. Send a Request for Enrollment Certification Form to the VA School Certiifying Official each semester you wish to claim VA educational benefits.

Retroactive Enrollment Certification and Payment

    Students have one year from the beginning date of their training in which to file an application and to receive benefits. The VA will only pay educational assistance allowance retroactively for school enrollment periods up to one year prior to the date the claim and certification of enrollment are received in the VA regional processing office.

Payment Procedures and Information

    New and transfer students can expect to begin receiving VA funding, including book and housing stipends (BAH), approximately four to eight weeks from the date the certification is submitted to the VA. Remember that the payment is made to the student for the number of days the student is certified for the month. If a student is certified for a whole month, the full monthly benefit is paid. If the student is only certified for part of the month, the benefit is prorated.

    Payment usually comes between the 1st and 15th of each month and is paid for the previous month. The VA does not consider a check as late until after the 10th of the month. Inquiries regarding check status or other payment issues may be made directly to the VA at: 1-888-442-4551.

    Students planning to train under Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve, Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP), Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill™, or Chapter 35 Survivors & Dependents, are required by the University to pay in advance for tuition, fees, books, and suppplies when due. Students, in turn, receive an allowance for each month of schooling based upon credit hours enrolled.

    Students receiving educational benefits under Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Chapter 33 Post 9/11 will have their tuition and fees paid (part or full) depending on eligibility, directly to the University.

Monthly Certification of Attendance - WAVE

    All students who are receiving Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve, Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP), or Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill™ benefits MUST verify their enrollment monthly to receive payment. This verification can be done either by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) application at: or by using the Automated Telephone System (IVR) at: 1-877-823-2378.

Pay Rates

Enrollment Certification Regulations and Student Responsibility

    The State Approving Agency (SAA) approves programs and courses of instruction so that educational benefits may be paid to eligible students under the programs administered by the DVA. Therefore, students must be admitted as matriculated and pursuing an approved program of study for enrollment certification of VA benefits. Students are also expected to make satisfactory academic progress toward completion of a degree. Any changes in enrollment including change of major, change of course, course deletions, and complete or partial withdrawals must be reported in writing to the Registrar's VA School Certifying Official via: for Undergraduate students or for Graduate students.

    Failure to comply with the official school withdrawal procedure may affect both past and future benefits. Payment of benefits will not be allowed for any course in which a non-punitive grade is assigned. Payment will not be allowed for repeated courses which were previously transfered or previously had a passing grade assigned. Payment will not be allowed for courses not required in a degree program.

    It is the student's responsibility to make sure tuition and fees are paid in full.

Military Leave Policy

    Rutgers' Policy for Military Leave, Academic Credit, and Tuition Refunds for undergraduate and graduate students who are called to active duty is explained on the following link ( If you are called to active duty, inform your school's dean and the VA School Certifying Official. Failure to comply could result in you incurring a debt to the VA.

Stay Informed


    Office of the Undergraduate Registrar
    VA School Certifying Official
    Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
    65 Davidson Road, Administrative Services Bldg., Room 200B
    Busch Campus
    Piscataway, NJ 08854-8096
    Phone:  (848)445-2757
    Fax:   (732)445-4238

    Office of the Graduate Registrar
    VA School Certifying Official
    Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
    65 Davidson Road, Administrative Services Bldg., Room 200F
    Busch Campus
    Piscataway, NJ 08854-8096
    Phone:  (848)445-2757
    Fax:   (732)445-0700

Edited: August 11, 2015