Office Of The Registrar, New Brunswick

Name/PAC Number Changes

Name and PAC Change Procedures

  • Download a Name Change Form
  • Change Your PAC Number (Eden account required) - Use this option if you have forgotten your PAC number, or to reinstate or establish your PAC number. If your PAC number has been suspended for three errors, you may call the Registrar's Office for assistance at 848-445-7000 and press 5.
  • What is a PAC Number and how is it determined? Your PAC is the four-digit month and day of your birth [ie: the PAC for October 25th is "1025"]. If you did not provide the University with your date of birth, your Rutgers PAC is set at "0101" It is highly recommended that all students change their PAC number from their date of birth -- see "Change Your PAC Number" above.

Policy on Name Changes on University Records

In the interest of accuracy, validity, and legality, it is important that all official records compiled at the University are consistent. Student records are maintained in the name given by the student on the Application for Admission form. If, in your initial application, you used a shortened version of your legal name (Sue for Susan, Ginny for Virginia, Tom for Thomas, Mike for Michael, Chris for Christopher, etc.), or, if you neglected to include a middle initial and you would like to have your diploma printed in your legal name, you must complete a "Change of Name" Form prior to applying for graduation.

Students may change their names by filing the University's "Change of Name" Form with their college registrar. This form also serves as an affidavit that the new name will be used without the intent to defraud or commit criminal activity.

Some internal records, such as microfilm and microfiche, cannot be changed, and the University is not responsible for the use of different names on this type of record. The college registrar will change all other records.

Students are responsible for supplying the University with correct information. The University is not responsible for delays or errors resulting from incorrect information provided by the student.

The University requires that students use only one name at a time. A fee will be charged if a new diploma or I.D. card is issued, or if any other unusual expense is required to change the name.

The University Registrar requires two forms of supporting evidence and identification that the new name is being used on other official documents, such as a drivers license, voter registration, marriage license, bank documents, court order, social security card, etc.

A "Change of Name" Form must be submitted to change the name on University records. The University will cross reference all former student's names.

Rev: 11/96, 8/07

Updated: December 10, 2019

Back to top