Office Of The Registrar, New Brunswick

Faculty Information

The Registration Process

The University registration process is comprised of four components:

  1. Preregistation
  2. Add/drop and Continuing Registration
  3. Late Registration and Final Add/Drop
  4. Cancellation of Registration

Back to top

When is Preregistration and what is it?

Preregistration takes place in late October and early November for the Spring semester and in late March and early April for the Fall semester. During this period, students may register using WEBREG Online Registration (, or thru in-person registration.

Continuing graduate students may register at any time, once the registration process begins.

Undergraduate students follow a descending degree credit schedule, resulting in seniors registering first, followed by juniors, etc. The registration system blocks undergraduate students from adding or dropping courses on days other then those assigned to their degree credit group. Undergraduate Registrar Satellite Offices (located on the various campuses) are available, according to a preannounced schedule, during this period to assist students who must register for a course in person. Both the Undergraduate (ASB, Room 200B) and Graduate Registrar's (ASB, Room 200F) Offices are open Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.

Back to top

When is the Add/Drop period and what does the process consist of?

The Add/Drop period generally occurs during the first two weeks of the semester. Students may add and drop courses to finalize their registrations. The actual add/drop dates are determined by the University Senate prior to the beginning of the semester, and it can vary each semester. Also, the Senate's decision supercedes any previously advertised add/drop dates. Therefore, students must check the New Brunswick Registrar's Website at the beginning of each semester (htttp:// to determine the latest registration information available. Students may use WEBREG or in-person registration, but undergraduates must register following a descending degree credit schedule (similar to the preregistration schedule).

Instructors may assign special permission numbers to students during this period. Instructors should not advise students to go to the Registrar’s Office to add a course because there appears to be empty seats in a classroom. An empty seat is not necessarily an indication that there are spaces available in a class. Some students do not attend the first class meetings of a course but are registered for the course and will attend. Each department establishes the number of spaces/seats available in their respective courses.

Back to top

Late Registration and Final Add/Drop Period

Students who have not pre registered or those who have had their courses cancelled due to an outstanding financial obligation to the University may register "late" during the first five days of the semester. These students must first make contact with the Cashier’s Office to pay their term bills and any other outstanding financial obligations.

The location of the Graduate Registrar's Office is ASB, Room 200F, Busch Campus at all times.

Back to top

What is a Special Permission number and when is it  necessary?

Special permission numbers are course/section related. These numbers are needed by students in order to register for courses that have reached their stop points/closed to additional students. In addition, special permission numbers are required to override the class year, school, or major restrictions on a course. Please be aware that if you give a student a special permission number to override a class year, school, or major restriction, the special permission number will allow the student to register for the course even if the course has reached its stop point, resulting in too many students in the course (not enough seats for the total number registered for the course).

Instructors will receive a list of special permission numbers from their departments. These numbers are not generated by the Registrar’s Office. Requests for additional special permission numbers must be made through your department. Requiring special permission numbers after the add period is over allows an instructor to determine if a student may enter his/her class at the late date.

Instructors must keep a record of the student(s) to whom they have given a special permission number. Please check with your department regarding their policy for special permission numbers and how they are assigned.

Special permission numbers are course/section specific and may only be used once. They cannot be shared among students.

Back to top

What is a prerequisite override and when is it necessary?

Departments determine what course(s) a student must take, prior to, or in conjunction with a specific course. If the instructor or the department waives the requirement of the prerequisite or co-requisite course, the student should be given a "prerequisite override" -- To request a prereq override, please send an email (using your Official Rutgers/Department email) to the Prereqs Site: Please remember to include in your request: the student's name, student ruid number, student's email address (so a confirmation email can be sent to the student), and Index Number of the course to be added. If the course enrollment has already reached the stop point and the course is closed, the email must also contain a special permission number.

Back to top

How do financial holds affect registration?

If a student has an outstanding term bill balance at the time of registration for the next term, he/she will be blocked from registering. In order to register for the next term's classes, a student must satisfy their financial obligation from the current term.

Back to top

What are Class Rosters?

Class Rosters are lists of the students registered for a specific class. They are updated every night.

Rosters are available on the web at: This web-based application assigns two roles to faculty:

READER - can view Class Rosters.
GRADER - can view, submit warning grades, submit final grades and can grant read privileges to others.

You should have been assigned a role by your department chair or dean's office. To access "Class Rosters" online, you will be prompted to provide your NET ID and password. Contact your department chair if you have a questions or need clarification regarding your role in relation to class rosters.

Back to top

How do you Submit Warnings and Grades?

It is vital that you submit both your Warning Roster and your Grade Roster in a timely manner! You must submit Warning Rosters and Grade Rosters no later than the dates indicated on the class roster. You must submit your Warning Roster and Grade Roster online.

The following are the warnings that can be submitted on the Warning Roster:

W1 = Warning for poor performance
W2 = Warning for poor attendance
W3 = Warning for poor performance and poor attendance

Timely submission of your Grade Roster is crucial in determining a student’s graduation -- it may hinge on the successful completion of your course!

Back to top


What are the acceptable grades that can be assigned at Rutgers University?

For undergraduate students, you may submit a grade of either A, B, B+, C, C+, D, F, NG, TZ, or TF.

For graduate students, please contact your Academic Dean's Office for a listing of acceptable grades.

A grade of NG (no grade given) is assigned to a student who has not attended the course. In addition, where no grade is assigned on the final grade roster by the faculty member, the Registrar shall assign the NG. The NG will have no immediate effect on a student's GPA, however, if the situation is not resolved within the following semester, the NG will convert to an F, and the GPA will be recalculated accordingly.

The TZ should only be assigned when a student is unable to complete the semester's course work due to a verifiable emergency situation. The student and faculty member should endeavor to reach an agreement as soon as possible as to how the course should be completed. The TZ will have no immediate effect on a student's GPA, however, if the situation is not resolved within the following semester, the TZ will convert to an F, and the GPA will be recalculated accordingly.

The TF is assigned if the student does not complete the course work required, or has not taken the final exam. The TF will be calculated into the GPA immediately. If the course work is not made up within the following semester, the TF converts to an F.

Back to top

How do you change a grade

   Grade changes can be made by accessing your class roster at: -- then click on Grade Changes. LOGIN with your
   NetID and password to enter the Electronic Grade Change System. You can either go directly to your
   roster and change the grade, or submit the grade change by searching for an individual student. Both
   options are available. If you have any questions concerning this process, please call the Registrar's
   Records Department at 848-445-3260 for assistance.

 Students may verify their completed grade changes online at:
 New transcripts may be ordered online through the Registrar's Transcripts Office web site at:

Back to top

How do I obtain student information?

To obtain a student’s schedule, access Click on the box marked "Grades, Transcripts, Class Schedule." Click on "View Grades, Transcripts, Class Schedule - Faculty/Staff Use" and follow the directions on the screen.

To obtain a student’s email address, permanent address, or PO Box, go to: and click on "Search Rutgers" and scroll down to the Find: People area where you will be prompted to input the student’s name.

Updated: August 31, 2017

Back to top